Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Pride of Ohio

Friday last I was killin' time at my favorite St Paul blues club, Wilebski's (www.wilebskisblues.com), waiting to pick up my son from a "rave" in Minneapolis. On stage was the Eric Jerardi Band (www.ericjerardi.com), fronted by Eric, a blues-rock guitarist and vocalist from Dayton, Ohio. I wasn't prepared to blown away by Eric's gritty guitar work and vocals. A hard workin' bluesman with 6 CD's to his credit, he and his band epitomizes what it's like to be in a mid-level combo, workin' for a livin' and surviving in a traveling band (the next day they needed to be in Quincy, Il, so they were going to be driving all night). While his original tunes were excellent, it was his covers that blew me away - he out-Paged Jimmy Page on "Good Times, Bad Times," out-Santana'd Santana on "Black Magic Woman," and out-Trowered Robin Trower on "Too Rolling Stoned." And I gotta give a shout-out to his drummer for the fantastic solo he did on "Manic Depression." So, along with Crissie Hynde, he is truly one of Ohio's finest. Keep on rockin', and be sure to see them when they come to your town...

No comments: