Wednesday, February 16, 2011

And the Beat Goes On ...

… or not (at least that's what it says on his tombstone). Today in rock history, in 1935, Salvatore Phillip “Sonny” Bono was born in Detroit, MI. Hard to believe that ol' Sonny, who was 33 years away from his appointment with the big tree on the slopes of Lake Tahoe in 1998, was the big three-oh back in 1965 when “I Got You Babe” hit #1. Other little know facts about Sonny include: 1) He was a high school dropout 2) Born a Catholic, he was really a secret Scientologist 3) He was a champion of the Salton Sea and there is a park there named in his honor. Let's check out “And the Beat Goes On” one more time to celebrate his life, and keep on rockin'! Thanks to www.bgo-records.com/today/today_in_rock_history.htm and www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Bono for the info.

2 comments:

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Hmmm ... cher was kinda cute in a bizarre kinda way in the day, no? A tad exotic, a tad knowing ...

That bono, though -- sheesh, playing the fool all the time ...

So how would you rank 'em: The Beat Goes On, I Got You Babe, Cowboy's Work is Never Done?

For me: Cowboy's Work is # 1 by a country mile -- a great song & misunderestimated if you ask me. Then I think I'd put I Got You Babe over the Beat Goes On, but a closer call ...

How's about you?

Charlie_Mac said...

10-4 on Cher being a major babe and Bono's being a dick. I would go with "Beat Goes On" as my first choice because of, well, the beat, and that little organ riff that comes after they repeat the title of the song the second time in each verse. "I Got You Babe" is second as it has that Dylan/Byrds jangly 12 string vibe, and "Cowboy" I don' know, so I'll take your word...