Thursday, May 20, 2010

"It's The Blues"

Today in rock history, in 1946, Johnny Moore's Three Blazers, featuring Charles Brown hit #2 on the R&B chart with "Drifting Blues". In 1948, The Ravens hit #8 on the R&B chart with "Bye Bye Baby Blues." These two early blues hits are cases in point to illustrate how music is constantly reinventing itself and nothing is really new. Even before these songs were recorded, you had Robert Johnson, Son House, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Skip James, etc, recording in the 20’s and ‘30’s; then you had the likes of Cream, The Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, etc, discovering these tunes in the ‘60’s and introducing them to a new generation of fans. It’s like the lyrics to my song “It’s The Blues” go:

“(It started) down in Mississippi, In 1922; Now all the hippies, Are playin’ the blues, too; It’s The Blues, Nothin’ But the blues, They’re Playin’ the blues…”

(I don’t have a good recording of this song yet but I’ll get it up here as soon as I do). At any rate, I may be pointing out the obvious, but what goes around, comes around again. I’m just glad to finally be playing a blues band after being a fan all my life. Let’s enjoy some good blues now with Charles Brown’s rendition of his song “Driftin’ Blues.” Come see my band Aces Wild Rockin' Blues Revue at the Ugly Mug on 6-25, and keep on rockin’!



2 comments:

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Very nice. And sign me up for one of them shirts. :-)

Charlie_Mac said...

About the shirts...yeah, well, there's a problem - Ace sez the ones they sent him sucked, the logo looked ironed on, didn't match, so it's back to the drawing board...at least they didn't charge him for them...