Tuesday, October 6, 2009

When my dime-dancing is through…

…I run to you. On today’s date in 1977 'Aja,' Steely Dan's most accomplished and popular album to date, is released. It is the group's first to be certified platinum (one million copies sold), and it reaches #3 on the album chart. It also wins Steely Dan a Grammy for "Best Engineered Non-Classical Recording." Back in the day, my roommate had this huge stereo – about a thousand watts per channel and these room-divider sized speakers – and used to play this album at house-shaking volume. “Just listen to the quality of this recording!” he’d shout – ok, I get it, I get it!! While he was crankin’ it up upstairs, I was down in the basement on the drums, trying to learn Steve Gadd’s solo at the end of the song. So check out this 1978 vintage promo commercial, and keep on rockin’!

3 comments:

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Hard to believe that video is older than we were when it came out! I totally did not get Steely Dan in the day, and am only just now discovering them.

Anonymous said...

Steely Dan certainly were technical perfectionists in the studio...and terrific live, too. Please re-post the commercial; would love to see it!

Anonymous said...

I just couldn't leave your web site before suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the usual information a person provide in your guests? Is gonna be again steadily in order to inspect new posts

Look at my page: may tinh