Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Close to You

Today in rock history, February 4, 1983, Karen Carpenter died of heart failure as a result of anorexia, a month before her 33rd birthday. I don’t know if any of you remember how she looked at the end, it was pretty shocking, and helped to put national attention on the tragedy and human toll of this disease. A lot of folks don’t remember her as being a pretty good (ok, better than good, excellent!) drummer, before she took the mic and gave up the drums for lead vocals. And, since I’m a guy (and a drummer), I probably still have a prejudice against “girls” being really good playing a drum kit, but she really was. Whether or not you liked her music, you have to agree she knew her way around the kit (and check out that Ludwig Vistalite kit - similar to what Zeppelin's Bonzo used to play). So let’s celebrate her life, and check out this video of her pounding the skins. Thanks to www.crawdaddy.wolfgangsvault.com for the info, and keep on rockin!

3 comments:

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Dude! I once told you (see these comments!) that the day would come when I would repay you for not properly digging Cold Irons Bound. It’s taken almost a year, but that day has finally come: To wit, I’m sure Karen was a sweet person & a fine drummer, but in all candor, The Carpenters were the Band From Hell. Now let us not speak of this again! ☺

Charlie_Mac said...

Yeah, ya got me...'nuff said!

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Hey Charlie, Jon over at my blog has a link for you re The Zombies & I can also get you the CD if you'd rather.

Hope the jam went well yesterday & truly sorry i couldn't make it!