Friday, August 29, 2008

I Got a Line...

Today in rock history, the original members of the band, Spirit, reformed in 1976 after a 5 year split. They were joined on stage at a reunion concert by Neil Young, for an encore of Bob Dylan’s, “Like a Rolling Stone.” The reunited group released the album, Son of Spirit earlier in the year. They would split again, and Jay Ferguson would make it into the top 10 with the single, “Thunder Island,” in 1978. As a kid, I was always fascinated by this band. With a guy named "Randy California" and a guy that was completely bald (Ed Cassidy - also Randy's stepfather)- a real novelty in the '60's)- they were certainly disctinctive and memorable. In one of my high school bands, we covered their hit "I Got a Line on You Babe" and it became a set-closing, rave-up kind of tune for us. So indulge me my walk down memory land as we enjoy this song one more time! Ok, I admit, it has really cheesy "special effects," but that only adds to its sixties charm! Thanks to www.garylessard.com for the info, and keep on rockin'!

1 comment:

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Thanks CharlieMac, a great tune still & I haven’t heard it in 30 years at least.

We could do a whole essay on the rise and fall of the zoomin’ in and zoomin’ out “special effect” in 60s music videos. One irony is that, although all that zoomin’ was supposed to invoke the psychedelic experience, it really only evoked that about-ready-to-start-seeing-double and start-puking phase of serious drinking. Or so I’m told!