Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Pride of Flint, MI

... and I'm not talkin' about Michael Moore here... On this day in rock history, the members of Grand Funk Railroad sued manager Terry Knight in 1972 for $8 million in unpaid song royalties. John Eastman, brother-in-law of Paul McCartney, was chosen to take over the band’s business affairs. Later that year, Knight showed up at rehearsals for the band’s, In Concert album, and legally confiscated their equipment in the ongoing legal battle. It wasn’t until the summer of 1973 that Grand Funk would hit it big on the singles chart with “We’re An American Band.” “The Locomotion,” “Some Kind of Wonderful” and “Bad Time” were other top 10 hits for the band. At the time of the suit, the band was doing well with their E. Pluribus Funk album. It's a real bummer, having your equipment confiscated, legally or otherwise. I remember seeing Grand Funk in the fall of 1970 when they were still a Big Thing. I gotta tell ya, they had to be the LOUDEST band I have ever heard, which was probably a contributing factor to why I wear hearing aids today! At any rate, let's check out Mark, Don and Mel playing "Inside Looking Out" in 1969, before their problems with greedy manager Terry Knight began. As always, thanks to www.garylessard.com for the info, and keep on rockin'!

1 comment:

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

I was prepared to smirk Charlie Mac; I was prepared to smirk. But that was pretty dang tight -- they sounded better there than I remember them sounding.