Thursday, February 14, 2008

Who are you?

On this date in 1970, the Who recorded their legendary "Live at Leeds" album, destined to become one (if not the one) of the best live albums ever. Here's a BBC TV special on the subject, hosted by Yes's Rick Wakeman. Watch it and you will find out that, if it hadn't been for a recording mixup, the album would have been called "Live at Howell" (the next date in the tour - doesn't roll off the tongue, does it?). Thanks to www.garylessard.com for the trivia, and keep on rockin'!

1 comment:

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Remember how the LP came in a kind of school kid manilla folder with pockets on either side? So the record was in a sleeve & in a pocket on one side, & that packaging once caused my life to pass before my eyes. I was in 10th grade when I borrowed Live at Leeds from a tough 12th grade kid who said he'd kick my ass if I scratched it -- and he absolutely would have.

So I get off the bus with the record under my arm & am walking home all psyched to get to my room & give it a listen. And I'm holding it kind of up close to my side like you would a notebook, when the record just rolls out of the sleeve, & thus out of the album thing, & it hits the sidewalk -- but gently, just like a well released bowling ball. And then it keeps rolling down the sidewalk, just like a bicycle tire.

I drop the album cover & race after the rolling recored & pick it up by slapping it between my two palms. On inspection the only damage was a very subtle chip in the edge which proved not to affect its playability at all. When I returned it the following week the kid never noticed any problem.